Monday, July 14, 2014

To Tell the Truth

So, the One True Sentence prompt was from last time we attempted to form this group over Facebook. I never got to explain it at the time and since I find myself awake, tragically, at 4:30 AM (They come in AM?) I figured I would explain it.

"The writer's job is to tell the truth. I would stand and look out over the roofs of Paris and think, 'Do not worry. You have always written before and you will write now. All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.'"

This is from Ernest Hemingway's memoirs, The Moveable Feast. It was his anthem, his brilliant mantra for overcoming writer's block. I have come a long way since the moment I read those words. Next time you feel Writer's Block creeping up on you, close your eyes and incant, "Write truest sentence that you know." It's done wonders for me.

Perhaps it could even help with writing the prompts here too.

No comments:

Post a Comment